Ep. 43 – Let America Vote
This week, the Georgia Governor’s race is a microcosm of everything that’s right and wrong with America: guns, inspiring candidates, voter suppression and voter enthusiasm.
THIS DOCTOR MAKES HOUSE CALLS
Issue of the week: SAVE VOTING RIGHTS
Voting is a sacred act. Free and fair elections are the bedrock of democracy. The 2018 elections are the most important in our lives – and forces are working to stop our votes. Russia is attacking our votes. States and the GOP are suppressing our votes (Georgia is a prime example of this). The Trump Admin sides with voter suppression. And Brett Kavanaugh is hostile to voting rights.
Calls and Mid Term Actions to protect our votes
- The immediate action is to protect our elections NOW. Congress can do this by passing the Protect American Votes and Elections (PAVE) Act, which will require paper ballots as the official, un-hackable federal ballot with mandatory audits (S3049/ HR6093).
- Script for Reps: My name is [–] and I’m a constituent from [city], [zip code]. I am very concerned about our election security and the 2018 midterms. I ask that the PAVE Act be passed immediately.
- Then we need stop Kavanaugh by calling out senators. We can combine this ask with asking for the PAVE act: “My name is XXX and I’m from zipcode: Brett Kavanaugh threatens almost every value I hold dear including voting rights. I am calling to thank the Senator for strongly speaking out against this nomination. I ask that the PAVE Act be passed immediately and that he makes sure Kavanaugh’s entire record is reviewed while doing all he can to stop Kavanaugh from being confirmed.”
- Ultimately, we need to win back local, state and federal elections so we can expand voting access, expand AVR, expand vote by mail, make voting a national holiday.
- senate action: https://www.roadto2018.com/ pick a vulnerable blue senator in a red and do something every month to help them win
- house action: find your swing left candidate and support them: www.swingleft.org
- local action/Oregon action – support Governor Kate Brown https://katebrownfororegon.com/ . We cannot have a GOP gov with our GOP sec of state. We are up for redistricting in 2020 and Dennis Richardson, the Oregon Sec of State has already made a proposal for a redistricting commission and GOP Gov nominee Knute Buehler sits on it.
- Figure out your plans for #LastWeekend and sign up at https://thelastweekend.org/ – ask off for vacation now. Plan now for how you will help for the weekend before the election. If you need help check out: https://crushthemidterms.org/ – will help you plan for the midterms
- AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD VOTE. MAKE SURE YOUR REGISTRATION IS UP TO DATE. WE HAVE TO OVERWHELME THEM WITH OUR VOTES. https://iwillvote.com/ https://www.whenweallvote.org/
Bonus action: if you want to do more to combat voter suppression and get out the vote check out Let America Vote: www.letamericavote.org